We recently had the opportunity to catch up with mellow, electro-pop duo, Meadowlark, ahead of their performance at Patterns in Brighton, in support of Aquilo. Dan (one half of the duo) told us about their upcoming album, his most embarrassing moment and what the pair do when writing and recording. Check out what he had to say…
1. How’s it all going with your music? Is there an album in the pipeline at the moment?
It’s going great thanks! We do indeed have an album in the pipeline, we don’t have a release date yet but rest assured it will be with you all in the new year!
2. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you, either through your music career, or in life?
I (Dan) head butted a pile of dog poo when I was a kid in front of a bunch of friends… that was a dark evening.
3. What really grinds your gears?
Music venues with no parking!
4. Is there anything other than music you’re really passionate about? What do you get up to in your spare time?
I (Dan) direct music videos in my spare time and make short films of all the trips I do to various places in and out of the UK.
5. What music have you been listening to most recently? Have you got a favourite song right now?
I’m not going to lie, every morning I’ve woken up on this tour I’ve heard ‘About You Now’ by Sugababes blaring out of Kate’s bedroom… on repeat!
6. Has anything really scary ever happened to you on tour? If so, what?
In Newcastle a drunk guy tried to invite himself into Kate’s room in a hotel whilst we were trying to load our gear in. It almost got violent, definitely not what we wanted at 2am!
7. Have you got any disgusting habits?
It’s not a disgusting habit per-say but I snore a lot which makes me very unpopular on tour.
8. What is your usual process for writing and recording? And where do you take your inspirations for songs from?
We wrote most of the last album at a beautifully secluded barn near Doncaster. It’s in the middle of nowhere, no signal, no distractions. We wrote and demoed the songs to the best of our ability, getting across all the important elements so that when we took the songs to a producer they would be a blank enough canvas to start carving from but had enough in them to get across their intended pace and genre.
9. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Never compare yourself to others.
10. Would you rather live in a Disney or Looney Tunes universe and why?
I think I speak for the both of us when I say DISNEY!
Meadowlark‘s releases are all available:
- To purchase on iTunes – Meadowlark
- To listen to on Spotify –